Sun Splash1 Click here for further information Finger W IMGP0002 IMG_1677 (1) IMG_1818

Coachroof Renovated

Stripping off the old iroko deck see : Deck Replaced meant removing all of the quarter-round finishing profiles between the deck and coachroof.  Once removed, it was clear that some of the wood in the coach roof was rotten and needed to be repaired.




The wood was in a particularly poor state where there were metal fixings.



We thought long and hard about the best solution.  We could have treated the wood, filled all of the problem areas with epoxy filler, faired the surfaces and then painted the coach roof white.  However, this would have radically changed the ARAMIS´ "look".


We therefore decided to sheath the exterior of the coach roof with teak.


We were fortunate to find a product called FlexiTeakcell.  This is a laminate of teak backed with beach. The laminate is made with D4 glue and is 100% waterproof so suitable for exterior use.


Prior to the sheathing operation, we epoxy treated and areas where the underlying wood was damaged and filled all imperfections with fibre loaded epoxy filler.


The of course meant removing the port lights and the upper finishing strip.




arrow Magwhite Flexiteakcell

The first stage of the sheathing, prior to cutting the holes for the port lights.  The most complex part of this operation was fabricating the corner elements.


We used D4 and screwed down battens to hold the veneer in place during gluing.  We found a filler that was a perfect colour match to the teak such that the small holes left by the battens are invisible after varnishing.

FlexiTeakcell - remarkably flexible and strong.

Here the port light holes are cut and the finishing elements being installed.  These are teak and screwed and D4 glued.  The lower strip is awaiting its screw plugs.

arrow arrow IMGP0005 (1)

As the handrails were also showing signs of rot and were perhaps not as safe to hold on to as the should be, we decided to replace them with some more substantial ones.


You will notice that we moved the rails slightly futher out than the originals. The reason was two fold.  Firstly, it means that there is now enough space to lie down between the hatch and handrail. Secondly, we could now fit a "walkable-upon" solar panel on each side if we wished.


Finally, we varnished, replaced the port light glass with laminated reflective glass and fitted stainless steel finishing frames.  We decided not to revert to the original wooden surrounds and these seemed susceptible to holding water and causing damage to the coach roof sides.  The width of the frames was chosen to match the existing circular frame on the fore cabin port light.